Clean Water Act (CWA) Data Searches
EPA is responsible for reviewing the performance of state enforcement and compliance programs (and EPA Regional programs when the state is not authorized to implement the program). To ensure consistent review of state programs, EPA's State Review Framework establishes a process that includes review of data metrics (provided below), file reviews, performance evaluations, and development of findings and recommendations. The links below provide information on the data metrics used. Please be aware that the data metrics do not provide a complete picture of program performance, all components of the State Review Framework should be reviewed for a complete picture, including information provided by individual states. For more information about the State Review Framework process, and to review the final reports produced for each state, please visit the State Review Framework site. To find out more about EPA's steps to improve water quality, see the Administrator's Memo (2pp, 150KB, About PDF).
Search for Facilities
- Basic Search for Clean Water Act Facilities (existing
ECHO query upgraded to contain water quality information)
When running a search, click on the "W" icon to access water quality info. For help using and understanding the AskWaters data see the First Time User Guide and the Water Quality Report Data Dictionary.
Analytics and Trends
- Multi-State Query - Offers data for multiple State Review Framework metrics for all states and territories across a fiscal year. Links to download all SRF metric data are available at the bottom of this query.
- State Review Framework CWA Data Download - (review all data metrics for all states)
- State Review Framework Tools
- State Review Framework project website and associated state reports
Additional Resources and Summary Data Reports
- Clean Water Act Reports and Resources - This web page provides background on the CWA NPDES program, and has links to various resources.
- Summary Data Reports - The Annual Reports provide summary, state-level data for facility universe, inspections, compliance status, and enforcement of the Clean Air Act, Clean Water Act, and hazardous waste laws. Both Major and Non-Major facility universe reports (including the CWA Annual Noncompliance Report for Non-Majors) can be downloaded using the Annual Report page.
- NPDES Regulated Universe
- Data entry rates for discharge data by state